This homemade Italian Pizza recipe is so much easier than you think. It can all be made in your standard oven and tastes so good.
Making homemade Italian Pizza is so much easier than you think, and I’m going to show you how!
Pizza has to be one of everyone’s favourite foods, I mean who doesn’t love pizza right?
This Italian Pizza recipe doesn’t require any fancy equipment or a pizza oven. It can all be made in your standard oven and tastes so good, you’ll be wanting to make it all the time!
Ingredients to make Italian Pizza recipe
- OO Flour is the preferred flour to use for Italian Pizza as it’s much finer to create a softer pizza base. You can purchase this at most supermarkets or at Italian and Mediterranean grocers. If you can’t purchase OO flour, plain all-purpose flour can also be used, however you will need to knead for slightly longer
- Instant yeast is used so that you don’t have to let the dough rise for long period or overnight. You can still use fresh yeast which is traditionally used for Italian pizzas but it’s best to let your dough rest for a longer period
- Warm water is required to mix with the yeast before adding to the flour
- Salt and Extra Virgin Olive Oil is added for flavour and texture.
Its important to use the highest quality of ingredients to make it taste like a pizza from Italy!
- Mozzarella cheese
- Parmigiano Regiano cheese
- Capsicum /Peppers
How to make Italian Pizza
Time needed: 3 hours and 25 minutes.
Prepare the dough
In a large bowl, mix the flour and salt together. Add the yeast to warm water and let it stand for a few minutes for bubbles or foam to appear.
Pour yeasty water into the flour bowl slowly, mixing with a spoon at the same time. Once all the water has been added, add olive oil and mix with a spoon to combine
- Knead dough Transfer the dough to a bench that’s been dusted with flour. Knead with your hands for about 10 minutes until the dough is elastic and smooth
Roll into a ball, tucking under the sides and allow to rest covered with a damp tea towel or plastic wrap for 30 -60 mintues
The dough would have doubled in size. Divide into 3 even balls then add a touch of olive oil to the top of the balls and let them rest covered with cling wrap or a damp cloth for a minimum of 2 hours.
Make the pizza
Peheat oven to its highest setting for 30 minutes with your pizza stone or oven tray inside.
To make the pizza shape, dust your bench with semolina flour and using your hands gently stretch into a pizza shape
- Add toppings Add your tomato sauce and favourite toppings, all except the mozzarella cheese. Drizzle with olive oil and brush some onto the crust too.
Cook the Pizza
Gently move the pizza base to your heated pizza pan or oven tray. Cook in the oven on the lowest level for approximately 4-5 minutes
Remove from oven, add mozzarella cheese and place back in the oven for 3-4 minutes until the cheese has melted.